Introduction to the Institute of GeoSciences
The Institute of GeoSciences, Energy, Water and Environment is a national research unit that operates under the umbrella of the Polytechnic University of Tirana. From the organizative viewpoint it is designed in four main departments.
These departments are:
- Department of Meteorology
- Department of Geology
- Department of Seismology
- Department of Hydrology
The management organs of Institute are:
- Board of Institute
- Head of Departments
The mission of Institute of GeoSciences, Energy, Water and Environment is to improve scientific research in the field of geoinformation in Albania through:
- carrying out scientific and applicative research
- leading the in depth education process of students and young researchers
- undertaking third party services in the fields of seismology, natural resources, georisks, geoengineering and geoinformation techonology
The main tasks of this Institute are:
- to study geological phenomena as geophysics, geochemistry, geomechanics etc and to build upon geological and thematic maps;
- to study and evaluate natural country resources in terms of minerals and underground energetic and water resources;
- to carry out research on natural hazards as well as those created by human activities (landslides, erosion, flood, earthquakes, environmental pollution etc);
- to study the micro zoning with regards to evaluation of the seismic risk in regional and local level;
- to adopt European standards of aseismic design.
- to study and monitor continuously the seismic activity in the country and be able to provide real time data for both decision-makers and public opinion;
- to develop, based on geoinformation technology, geomodels that supports scientific research in the fields of geophysics, geology, geoenvironment, seismology, geothermal energy etc.